Do you have a missing tooth? If Yes, you must have encountered the term ‘Dental Implants’ while evaluating your treatment options. Over the last few decades, Implants have become increasingly popular and a preferred treatment option for the replacement of missing or extracted teeth. But what actually are Dental Implants?
“Dental Implants are screw-like structures that are placed within the jaw bone to act as an anchor or foundation for the artificial teeth like crowns or dentures”
What Are Veneers?
It is due to the following benefits that Dental Implants offer over their conventional counterparts like bridges or dentures:
- They mimic the natural tooth in look and feel.
- If placed successfully, they can last a lifetime.
- They prevent or minimize the natural bone depletion or resorption that normally occurs after tooth loss. A study revealed that 25% of bone resorptions occur during the first year after tooth loss. This happens due to a lack of stimulation from the tooth roots.
- Implants maintain the arch form of the teeth by preventing them to drift into the extraction space.
- They help in restoring the esthetics and chewing function of natural dentition.
Type of Implants?
There are two main types of implants:
- Endosteal Implants:
These Implants are placed within the jaw bone and are the most commonly used type.
- Subperiosteal Implants:
Subperiosteal Implants are placed over the jaw bone with the help of a metal framework but are still under the gums.
They are used when there is not enough jaw bone present and the patient is unwilling for bone augmentation procedures.
- Another uncommon type of implant is Zygomatic Implants that are placed within the cheekbone. They are not used routinely.
Dental Implants Materials
Dental Implant Materials:
- The Implants available in the market are mainly of:
- Titanium and its alloys
- Ceramic or zirconia
Previously the implants were made up of titanium only. But with the advancement and popularity of metal-free dentistry, Ceramic or zirconia Implants have been introduced which are comparable in strength and properties.
If you are planning to opt for implants for replacing your missing teeth, you must be having a ton of questions. Let’s walk you through the most commonly asked questions:
What to Expect?
The exact procedure and type of implants vary according to individual conditions and preferences. However, the basic procedure outline is as follows:
- Patient evaluation and initial 3D imaging
- Preparation of the implant placement site.
- Bone grafting, if needed
- Placement of implant body
- Healing and integration
- Placing the final artificial crown with an abutment or connector after the implant body has fused with the bone. The process is termed OSSEOINTEGRATION.
What is the expected time frame for a Dental Implant Treatment
The exact timeframe is difficult to predict. But on average, the entire procedure can take from 3 to 6 months. This can increase or decrease as per the patient’s condition and the type of Implant used.
Can Dental Implants Fail?
Like any other dental or medical procedure, there still are chances of implant failure. However, the chances are as minimum as 5 to 10% and can be reduced even further if proper protocols are followed.
What are the commonly used implant brands.
The cost of the implant also varies with the Implant brands. All the implants have to pass through international safety standards before they are available in the market.
The commonly used brands in the United States are:
- Straumann dental Implants
- Ritters Implants
- MIS Implants
- DENTSPLY SIRONA
Where Can I get the best Dental Implants in Florida?
If you are based in Florida and are looking for Implant treatment, we have good news for you! Now get your smile transformed at Pure Dental Smiles at affordable rates.
With our patient-centric approach and utilization of the latest dental technologies, we have been providing the finest dental experience for years.
For more information, Book an appointment or call us at 305 932 6600